It’s been fairly quiet around these parts (though pretty active over on the FableCroft site, for reasons which will become clear!), but I’m still alive, still banging on! There’s no way I can cover all the stuff that’s gone on in the past couple of months, but here’s a little roundup:
- decluttered and thoroughly went through the entire house (this was planned for January, but we decided also to put our lovely house on the market *sigh* so was even more important!).
- caught the Spirit of Tasmania and drove up to Canberra to start new job! (it’s fantastic, I love it, both the job and Canberra itself!).
- started brilliant new job in lovely big boys’ school (was a bit intimidating at first, but the students, and the staff, are really nice).
- applied for some Arts funding by way of forthcoming Pozible campaign for Cranky Ladies of History project (we find out tomorrow if we have the potential to succeed!).
- worked on several FableCroft things, including Jo Anderton’s forthcoming novel, Insert Title Here slush wrangling, Cranky Ladies stuff, Hobart book launch for Tansy and Dirk’s books (March 9, Hobart Bookshop!) and loads more.
- Started to meet up with Canberra friends at various times.
- Flew home on weekends to hang out with the family (and friends in Tassie).
- Finished initial CBCA reading for the Book of the Year awards, in anticipation of the judging conference in early April.
- Probably about 8 million other things I now can’t remember!
So yes, it’s been a really busy time! I’ll try to keep up 🙂
I’ve had trouble getting anything written here – I blame visitors, school holidays and the fact I’m blogging elsewhere! We’ve had a very social few weeks which has included multiple sleepovers, a Tansy & family overnight visit, a fishing day out, an Emma & B visit, a job won and lost for husband, Helen & J for two nights, a couple of movies, and LOADS of extra children and chauffeuring about of ours in their busy social schedules! I wanted to get lots more done than I did, but well, didn’t. I’m working now on unpacking the final boxes in the study, doing the filing/tax, and unpacking the boxes in Bub’s room and finishing the sorting of the clothes for keeping or handing on. There are still quite a few more stealth boxes in various hidey holes. At least a couple I can’t unpack until I get a lovely display cabinet. Almost all the books are unpacked. I think a couple more might be yet more clothes (probably mostly for discarding). And there’s a few jammed with toys (again, many of which can be passed on). What’s in the rest? It’s an adventure in unpacking, because I don’t know!
And time is running out. The marking will start to roll in soon, and then I’ll be turning over assignments and other uni work until at least November. Need to get a wriggle on!
Well, I got the marking done. I finally got Master Ten, Miss Seven, Master Three and our bedrooms basically unpacked and properly habitable. I’m working on bathrooms today and Bub’s room will be last. All the outgrown clothes have been dumped in there for sorting & storing/discarding. Then it’s just the last boxes in the study, and gradually sorting/finding homes for/tossing the “stuff” in the stored boxes. Getting there!
I also managed a huge cleanup on Friday before our visitors on the weekend, so the house is looking quite nice! Helen, Stewart & J came to stay Saturday night, which was, as usual, lovely. Successfully cooked delicious red lentil soup, ate lots of cheese & drank some wine, accompanied by excellent conversation – can’t ask for more!
Last week I applied for two jobs – with husband’s redundancy five weeks ago, we’re looking at employment options for both of us. I don’t WANT to go back to outside-the-home work, but it might be necessary, and these jobs, while very different, are both interesting! We’ll see what happens.
Other than that, just trying to get on top of FableCroft work, in case one of these jobs comes off! Onwards…
So. Many. Things. To. Do.
- batch of uni marking
- formatting Liquid Gold to get ebook ready for sale
- organise contract for forthcoming FableCroft project and format for sale (to be announced)
- finish editing for (different) forthcoming novel project for FableCroft (to be announced)
- work up blog posts for Momentum (I was announced as their new blogger on the weekend!)
- keep unpacking (does it never end! We finally got Miss Seven into her room over the weekend, but there are STILL BOXES!)
- CBCA reading (starting out late doesn’t help, but I’m almost on top of things)
- clean bedrooms and put away all the things accumulating there
- Continuum this weekend!
Oh, and keep kids alive and loved. Cos they’re cute and all 🙂
Yes, we just moved three months ago. Yes, moving again so soon hurt, a LOT. And I’m very cross with the owner of the last rental who refused to let us sign for a four month period because she wanted to put the house on the market (house still not on market, nor is it occupied). Grrr. Still, we’re done now, and finally back into a home of our own! It’s been a busy week. I had uni marking due Monday, so had to finish that before I could start packing. Spent Monday arvo & all day Tuesday packing. Removalists came yesterday (and whinged the whole time – not impressed!). They finished about 5.30. Managed to get beds organised for us all, amongst kid commitments (husband bought Chinese home for dinner thank goodness!) and I was zonked out by 9pm. So weary!
Thanks to a baby who only woke for one nighttime feed then slept until nearly 7am, I woke up feeling quite chirpy! Lucky, as today was pretty full on as well!
Today’s achievements included:
Screen doors installed
Powerpoint & light switch in new room
Blinds measured up for new room
Cleaning done at old house (not by me!)
Kitchen almost unpacked (by me)
Our bed put together (by husband)
Things not achieved:
All the other boxes
Internet access (Telstra says it’s connected. I’ve borrowed a phone from them to test the line before we escalate to faults).
So. Many. Boxes.