Well, for starters, I spent SEVERAL DAYS driving several children across three states. We left on the first Wednesday of the holidays, and surprised Mum & Dad by turning up on their doorstep, which was fun. Then my husband decided he didn’t need to be in Tassie after Saturday, and I thought “Ooh, good opportunity to share the driving!” so he flew up to Toowoomba. Which mean I drove 3 hours to collect him, then 3 hours back. Which was fine, because I thought, well, instead of leaving Tuesday as I’d planned, we could stay the extra day then just do the trip in one day on Wednesday. HA! No no, instead, he says “Why don’t we go to Byron Bay and visit Marty & Kath? Today.” So we packed up the gear and drove to Byron Bay, and stayed Monday and Tuesday nights with them. Thing is, it’s about as far from Byron Bay to Canberra as it is from Miles to Canberra, so that was an extra day’s travelling tacked on. And THEN he says, “Oh, and I’m taking a new vehicle back to Canberra for the business.” So now do I not only have an extra day’s travel, I ALSO NO LONGER HAVE A CO-DRIVER! *sigh* I still love him though. Anyway, so all that meant instead of getting back to Canberra on Wednesday, we got back Friday late afternoon. Which THEN meant I lost those extra couple of days I’d planned to work. Ah well. I got a fair bit achieved, including some more boxes unpacked today, all the washing done and the kids’ rooms cleaned. Plus some edits and a few other bits and bobs. Not as much as I’d hoped, but enough I don’t feel I wasted the holidays!
- Edits for many, many stories. Announce and advance a couple of other projects in the works. Apply for a grant. (all FableCroft things) – got a bit of this done. We published Tansy’s first collection of essays, 50 Roman Mistresses and are almost finished with another collection as well, which is great. Got started on edits, and announced the tables of contents for INSERT TITLE HERE and PHANTAZEIN.
Interviews for a blog project.Done!
- Write about eight zillion reviews (books and TV). – Erm, well, we did publish one Doctor Who review and two Eddings Reread reviews. Though I had many many more to do…
- WA School Library Journal layout. – let’s not speak of this.
- Application for Google Teacher Academy in Sydney. – half done, but not advanced since going away.
- Sort and dispose of several boxes of toys. – Nup.
- Catch up with friends. I can claim a little of this, but they are QLD friends, rather than Canberra ones! Really missed seeing some of our new local friends. Will have to devote some weekend time to that! Did get a cuppa with Donna yesterday, which was nice!
- Paperwork/tax stuff. – ahem. No.
- Keep up with emails – Not too bad!
It could have been worse. It could have been better. If we hadn’t gone away, I would have got loads more done, but you know what? We had fun. And the kids would have been bored staying here! Hopefully next hols they’ll have some friends they can spend some time with here, but I think we made the right choice.