I’ve been reading everyone else’s Year That Was posts, and best/favourite of the year thingies, and really want to do some but not sure I can muster the energy or memory! 2011 was a pretty good year, but it was about an 11 on the crazy-busy scale! Things what I done:
1. Helped run a convention – Swancon Thirty Six | Natcon Fifty. And while I didn’t enjoy the weekend itself (not because of the con, but because I had so little time TO enjoy it!), I really enjoyed being part of the team and enjoyed the fact that everyone ELSE enjoyed it! It hasn’t put me off con-running 🙂
2. Brought out a new book – After the Rain – it’s very good, have you read it? 🙂 The ebook version of this that I pulled together in the aftermath of the terrible QLD floods (well before the release of the print version) raised over $2000 for the QLD Premier’s Flood Appeal, which I was very proud of and appreciative for the support given by people from all over the world (and from the authors who permitted their stories to be used).
3. Started a new journal for a professional association (the WA School Library Association) called ic3: information, communication, collaboration, celebration. I’m very proud of the first three issues and look forward to my continuing role as editor.
4. Failed to sell a house – market dead flat, but still, it helped declutter somewhat before…
5. Successfully moved interstate (well, we’re not there yet, but everything was moved out before the end of 2011, so that counts!)
6. Worked three days per week.
7. Continued to raise three very awesome kidlets.
8. Continued to be married to a very motivated, hard working, pretty hunky bloke.
9. Acted as judging co-ordinator for the Aurealis Awards (still going).
10. Acted as judge for the 2010 WA Premier’s Book Awards.
11. Acted as judge for the CBCA Book of the Year Awards (still going).
12. As part of those last couple, read over 400 books in 2012.
13. Started a podcast – The Book Nut – it’s pretty good have you heard it yet? 🙂
14. Turned 36.
15. Created two new book projects for FableCroft (due out in 2012).
16. Fell in love with Doctor Who. Rabidly. And started to blog about it with Tansy and David.
17. Fell in love with Fringe. And Haven. And Misfits. I actually watched rather a lot of television this year – most unusual!
18. Reread and blogged about the Vorkosigan Saga with Alex.
19. Hosted some fantastic blog posts about indie press.
20. Visited family and friends (and hosted them in return).
And look, I’m sure there’s loads more! But 20 highlights is probably enough, so I’ll leave it there. It’s been a busy year, and 2012 looks set to be no less busy, but quite a lot different – bring it on!