Done and dusted

Well, that’s it. School is over, and I’m now on holidays and then maternity leave. Hard to believe actually! The week was the madhouse predicted. Had our doctor’s appointment on Tuesday, and we are booked in for January 22 for baby. That’s now less than five weeks away! So much to do between now and then…

Kept very busy all week, trying to finish off all those jobs that have to be done when one is disappearing for an extended period of time. We still don’t really know what’s happening in the library, but it looks like it’s pretty much going to be unskilled (albeit lovely) filler staff. Returning things to order when I go back in Term 4 may take some time, but hopefully everyone will survive 🙂

I’d been really looking forward to our final day on Friday, which involves carols (singing in the choir for me!) and mass, then staff farewells, final day of Secret Santa (we do a week-long event – I got totally spoiled!), then off to lunch at a posh location and afters drinks for those who want to kick on. As it was to be my last day with people I count among my closest friends (yes, I AM a nerd – I love both my job AND the people I work with!), I had even organised my babysitter to pick the kids up so I could stay out with them as long as I could. So of course, Miss Four starts vomiting at 11.30 Thursday night. After a big cleanup, she went back to bed, and was (mostly) fine for the night. I’m crossing my fingers for bad thickshake, but she still wasn’t 100% Friday morning. I tried to get my alternate babysitter, but she didn’t feel confident (being only 16) to look after a sick child for the day, so, with much reluctance, I took the girl to daycare (it was their last day at their daycare too!) with many apologies. She was okay, but not awesome. And I HATE it when parents take sick kids to daycare, so I felt terrible, but I had to try! Anyway, got through to nearly 10am before daycare rang to say she’d vomited again and I had to go pick her up. I was absolutely devastated. It sounds stupid, and it’s not like I can’t call in and visit any day I want next year, but I’m really going to miss these folk, and I had been so looking forward to the day. Anyway, I picked the girl up and went back to the farewells – sat outside, then my staff (who include my usual babysitter!) did some switching in and out with me so I could listen to the farewells. Afterwards, when the Secret Santa gifts and reveals were done, everyone started to head off to the lunch, so I began to say my goodbyes. However, my wonderful babysitter (who is temporary staff, and whose mum is one of my permanents!) then offered to still do her pre-arranged babysitting in the afternoon, so I could meet up with the leftovers in the late afternoon! I was delighted. So, Missy and I headed home, where we both had a nap, then a quiet afternoon (which, for the record, involved NO MORE VOMITING!!!) before my sitter arrived, Master Seven in tow, and I headed up to Fremantle for "drinks" (the tall glasses of water I had were just lovely!) 🙂 Was extremely noisy, and I’ve never been so grateful for non-smoking laws, and I’m far too old for bars now I’ve decided, but it was wonderful to have a final few hours with my mates. Left about 8pm, giving my boss and a couple of other staff a lift back (MUCH easier to talk in the car than in the noisy bar!) and was home by 9. Not a bad day in all, if not what was planned.

So, that’s it for work for a while. I have some things to take in next week, and I’ve insisted to one of the deputies that I want to proof-read next year’s diary before it goes to the printer! Other than that, I’m pretty much done. Will no doubt be calling in regularly for a cup of tea though while I’m on leave (school is only a five minute drive from home). Luckily, I have plenty to keep me busy! 

This weekend I’m hoping to catch up with   before she jets off for her holiday, and I have a skip sitting in my driveway that needs filing with junk from the shed before Monday. While I’m in the shed, I have to unearth all the baby clothes and gear to sort out. After a pretty full-on week or two, I also have a house that looks like a bomb’s hit it, so a big tidy up is also imminent. I think I’m pretty ready for Christmas, so just need to keep the kids entertained until Thursday, when my mum and dad arrive for ten days. No idea what plans are after Christmas, although for Mum and I, they no doubt involve shopping 🙂 And of course, I’ve got Worlds Next Door editing to do, among other things!  Right, better go finish my Christmas cards to post today. Always something to do!

Leave a comment

Filed under Uncategorized

Have your say

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s